Tuesday, February 15, 2011

About to catch the Metro

During the winter days, i have been struggling just to walk a few blocks to take the Metro. Every day before i get out I think of the piles of snow i have to walk over, which would always make me a few minutes too late to catch the train i normally catch on a dry non-icy day.

I wear my comfy expensive boots and while i walk i feel the boot laces intieing and dangling interrupting my pace. I hate those boots at the time being. Even after double-tieing them so tightly they always seem to untie.

As I walk faster I reach the station and take the escalator up towards my train. I try to run up but there are too many people blocking the way and instead i have to stand in a que. As we reach up, the person in front of me stops right in front of the endpoint of the escalator causing horrible escalator traffic behind me. I feel people bumping into me behind me, blaming me that i was the one who walked too slow or stopped unreasonably.

When there is "snö oväder" i get very unlucky and see a delayed notice of the train that i will take. It finally comes and i get into the train as fast as i can (because stockholm is always about being in a hurry) and i pass through all the tall people standing and find a good place to sit right by the window. Sometimes i get lucky, other times i stand.

In the winter i see the Metro packed. So many people, half of them reading the Metro newspaper. But in the morning, it's amazing how quiet the metro can be.

You close your eyes and it will feel like nobody is there, then you open and see there is not a seat empty, not even an empty place to stand, but despit all that, it is absolutely "tyst". So so quiet.

Welcome to Sweden.... :)

No comments: