Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Diary of Tani 3: Just Me and Mr. Lax

It feels very akward when your fullhouse becomes empty. That's what happened this evening. I was preparing Sweden's famous Lax (special swedish catfish) to cook dinner with while each person in the house left one by one. My mother-in-law was working the evening shift today at vÄrdhuset, my husband called to tell me he was not going to arrive home at his normal 6pm time, my fathe-in-law was heading towards the mosq for prayer, my 2 other brother-in-laws had plans to go out so they were getting ready to leave. Suddenly, there was silence. A rare condition for this warm and comfy radhus.



So earlier today, my brother-in-law and I went to go get the car checked since i finally got my yearly appointment to check my car. That took me about 300kr. So good thing was nothing was wrong with the car.



On the way home, we (although my brother-in-law hates doing grocery especially during his month off from studies) decided to do some short grocerie. We got 2 huge fresh Lax fish.

My father-in-law showed me how to cut one of the fish, so bless him for cutting one of them for me. The rest of the evening i struggled cutting the slippery, slimy, huge fish that was staring right at me with it's big face, sticking it's tongue at me. It was kind of freaky. But i finally got the hold of it and started piecing it. Put one smal portion aside for dinner tonight. Put the rest away in the fridge. Cleaned the big mess i made. Had to clean the entire kitche.

Took a break before cooking and suddenly felt really lonely. I called my husband and he seemed very busy so i didn't really want to disturb him. So i went back to the kitchen. Lit up some candles in the quiet darkness..the swedish way to go :)
Cooked delicious lux for dinner. And by the time it everybody started coming home my dish was hot, ready to serve.

I wonder sometimes how i lived alone as the only child when my parents used to work all day... Life really does change. Now i am so scared of loneliness. I am so used to living with a big family now.

No comments: