Monday, February 14, 2011

5 krowns or Hold It!


So here is the first piece of information i got..use the bathroom before going out anywhere in Sweden. It's a wonderful city and it involves a lot of walking.


It was on the week of August when i came with my wonderful parents to visit my sweetheart and his family who resided in Sweden. I found it fascinating that it was my first time visiting Europe, and that i was eventually going to become a resident of this beautiful city called Stockholm.

One warm sunshiney evening we all went out as a family to have a personal tour around the city led by the man who knows best, my husband ( who was at the time my future fiance) along with his brothers.

It was one hot summer day and we had just finished eating dinner. We all took a walk down Kungsholmen when I started feeling a burning sensation inside my stomach. I had realized that i wasn't the traveling type of girl. No matter how sanitary the country is i will get indigestion problems wherever I go. On top of that, my bladder kept giving me the signal that it was time to "release". Thats a new problem i had just then discovered. Never had bladder problems before.
It was quite "konstig".
Now was my uncontrollable bladder and my angry stomach signs that told me i was suddenly aging or that Sweden wasn't the place for me? I hadn't a clue. All i knew was I couldn't sit or walk any longer until i found the nearest public restroom.

Little did i know that we were nowhere near any restrooms.

Finally we found a closeby restaurant, and while i was feeling embarassed to notice that i wasn't the least bit flattering at this moment to my futur in-laws, struggled to manage myself to walk and even stand normally with my mother-in-laws brand new heels on, which she had kindly offered me to borrow for the day with my matching outfit. Walking with heels on pavement when ur sick to the stomach is the last terrible feeling tou would want to experience.

My poor husband ran to the restaurant and asked for the "toalett" for me. He comes running back saying he found one, but unfortunately this was the day he had no extra change on him. Niether did anyone else. I only stared at him with confusion when he asked me for change, which i didnt have either. He said you obviously need at least 5 kronor in order to get into the bathroom.

Paying to go to the bathroom? Seriously, I thought.

In the horrible condition that i was, i still had to say , " But in the U.S. the bathroom is free!"

I thought it was so ridiculous that i didnt even feel like going inside with a bathroom ticket.

It really made me appreciate America for what it provides me with.

The again, bathrooms in Stockholm are much cleaner due to the fact that limited people use it for the right purpose at the neccessary time by PAYING first.

Now i know to always keep extra change with me for numerous reasons such as to potty.

No comments: